Family

One of the main problems that all teens have, is their relationships with their family. Which I can get because sometimes family isn't nice, isn't there, or just doesn't understand why you feel the way you do. My family has sort of been a mix of all of those at different times. Overall, I have a pretty good family and I am lucky that they are more open-minded than the others around them.

My parents like to push themselves as much as they can, which means that they would often be out of the house and I would be left alone with my sister and Brandon. I only ever really spent time with my sister, Brandon, and... Marcus. Marcus is pretty much the only person I spent every day with. They are still one of my favourite people. As for the only sibling I haven't mentioned yet, Bill, I never really met him till I was 11.

Brandon isn't blood, but we were neighbors since little and his mom works with my mom. Sounds nice and like a story friendship, right? Well, it was till he fully moved in last year. When I was little I could ignore all the petty things he did, and that I did back, but now it has sort of progressed. I would totally stop being his friend if I could, but that is kind of hard when his bedroom is literally five steps away from mine.

When you take in the information that I didn't really know my mom and dad till maybe a couple years back and that I pretty much only have two siblings to talk to, you can see why it was hard for me to come out to my family. I had always read that families were all so close together. I mean, of course, they had arguments. I have never read a book where the family was really really nice to each other. Actually, I have. My mom wrote a book series.

Coming out to your family, the people that you see every single day, is very difficult. I think the best advice I can give, in terms of that, is to make sure that you come out to your family yourself. It is even worse if someone else tells your family. My mom came out to Bill for me and now Bill is very angry with her and is giving me advice on phases. I guess he thinks he knows what I am going through just because he was a dead bride in a high school play. Heh.

Family is difficult though. I don't think I have ever had a day where I wasn't fighting with someone. Pretty much my whole family has autism, except Bill and my mom, which makes it hard. My dad and I will be talking about something and my mom will get upset because she thinks we are arguing. Maybe we are, but it doesn't help when it ends with me being in trouble.

My sister, Jane, and I haven't always been close. We actually fought with tooth and nail growing up till a year ago. Our fighting ended a week before I came out as trans to her. Now we are as close as my parents wished we were when we were little.

This post was a little less helping people and just more talking about family. My mom and I were a bit at odds today because my energy was at an all-time low, but she wanted me to clean up a bit. I definitely could have pushed through it if I really tried, but I have really pushed myself over the last few weeks helping out with my nephews. I patched it up with her, but it really got me thinking about family.

Comments

Popular Posts